the deletions

poems * poetry news * palaver * art * life * culture

awake and refreshed
    tho with nothing on the page

Derek Motion reviews Peel me a zibibbo in the latest issue of galatea resurrects and ends with two lines from
Ken Bolton, quoted from the title poem.

Peel Me A Zibibbo is a group of recent poems - five poems written for friends. It's a 14 page C5 sized chapbook. Here's the title poem -

 Peel me a zibibbo

I could go
in any direction
but it's best that here and now
I remain lesbian,
keep my vanishing cream
I'll go south
to follow the sheen
of your signals,
in the meantime
my problem's like how to
design a wall didact -
serif or not's
a big decision


it's October so
the bogong moths
are back
and the koels - the October
crack of dawn racket -
are back again too,
mauve jacaranda petals
are stuck
on the windscreen wipers rubber


by now the wall text task
is impossible -
application decreasing,
attention span diminishing -
transparency an aim,
how coded the coding


imperfection in kindness
comes with the void,
you need to
the 'I'm feeling lucky' google option


drinking in the cemetery
sounds like an early
Nick Cave song
but it's
it's also the subject
of Paddy Fordham's


should I start carrying
my books
in clear plastic bags
my polyester document bag,
is this a solution ?
16° centigrade
95% humidity
what a precipitate place


shouting Shakespeare aloud
to the sea
in Surfers' Paradise
in 1964
after hurling your body down
fine off-white sand dunes.
now it's 2006
you're experiencing thanatos
high up on a Seidler balcony.
if you are in doubt
(slurp over drinks)
what gives the false poet
such confidence ?


awake and refreshed
tho with nothing on the page


John T phones -
this cloudy gloomy
early summer day
is 'like the fifties' he says.
every day ?
miserable childhood ?
photographic weather memory
à la recherche du temps inclément


I was reading
about the sweet potato farmers
of Osaka
living such long lives -
nonogenarians, centogenarians -
when Kurt called in with his new book
Hyper Taiwan
Taiwan - it's 'sweet potato island'

hi Kurt, hi John T,
hi Nick, Paddy, hi Shakespeare,
peel me a zibibbo
would you,
one of you guys ?

Ivy Alvarez writes a short review of My Lightweight Intentions

Never-Never Books * 157 Wentworth Street *
Blackheath * NSW 2785 * Australia


At 8:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

derek motion's review is a treat, refreshingly unbossy. who's ken bolton?

At 10:00 AM , Blogger PB said...

Hi anon,
click on the link in the first paragraph - Ken Bolton
Bye anon,


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home